I recently saw this meme online and I started thinking about how much the world has changed in the past 19 years. First, it makes me realize that time has indeed passed and that I am old and that someday I will die. It is a scary thought, the thought of dying, the thought of everyone around you dying. I wish they invent immortality soon. Real real soon. Friends ran between 1994 to 2004, and it was indeed a golden age. The show was wonderful. It was witty and funny and interesting and never boring.
I have been thinking though, does anyone’s life change watching a television show? I don’t think so. Television is awesome. Friends is awesome, but then has friends taught us anything? It surely should have taught us these things I think:
1. It doesn’t matter how old or young you are as long as you have friends to hang out with.
2. You are capable of having five best friends at one time.
3. You do not need constant texting/whatsapping/emailing to tell people you love them.
4. If you really love somebody, you will never leave them for your career or anything (Chandler left Tulsa, Rachel didn’t go to Paris, Mike married Phoebe even when his parents didn’t agree).
5. Sometimes you have to make hard choices to let people go. (Ross and marcel (the monkey)).
6. People have to eventually grow up and move on. (Chandler and Monica left their apartment)
7. You don’t judge your friends based on where they come from (their family), their backgrounds or their intelligence. You can be friends with anyone you want to.
8. Everyone is different, you should accept the eccentricities of your friends.
9. You should never stop looking for love. You can find it in the most unexpected places.
10. You should probably give up your laptops and phones when you are with your friends. You should enjoy and cherish the time you have with them.
I really think I have summed it all up. I know this is not a character analysis of each character, but I really think the most important thing to not forget these days is that social networking is not as important as making friends. I know some people might be confused about what I mean, but just think about it. You don’t need 500 facebook friends who don’t give a rats ass and with whom you cannot share a pizza late night, you will be fine even with 5.